Frequently asked questions
Mohican Outdoor Center
50 Camp Mohican Road, Blairstown, NJ 07825 Phone: (908) 362-5670
1. When do we depart on Friday?
The group will depart together in a caravan from SHINE Power Yoga Maple Shade with two departure times. Early bird departure: 7am; Afternoon departure at 12pm. If you are not able to depart with the caravan, you are more than welcome to set your own arrival time. This is a retreat after all! We recommend carpooling to be mindful of the environment.
2. Do you accommodate dietary requests?
Yes! Vegetarian options will be available. Gluten-free options and other dietary accommodations upon reasonable request.
5. What comes with outdoor camping?
All that is provided is a cleared tent space. Guests are expected to bring their own tents, bedding and other camping supplies for comfort. You are welcome to bring battery operated air mattresses, sleeping pads, cots, hammocks, etc. Flushable toilets and showers are in easy walking distance. If you have never camped before and are short on supplies, reach out to us and we can hook you up with a tent, sleeping bag, etc.!
6. Where are we hiking?
This fall we will be doing the Kaiser - Coppermine Appalachian Trail Loop. This is a moderate 7.2 mile hike, with the option to return back to camp after 5.2 miles. There is a slight elevation gain for a portion of this hike.
7. What is a moderate hike like?
- you are someone in good hiking / physical condition, although no experience with hiking is necessary
- trails will generally be in good condition
- increased mileage on this hike (5.5 miles up to 7.7 miles in one day)
- moderate elevation gain
Comparatively, hiking is categorized as: Easy >> Moderate >> Difficult >> Very Difficult >> Extreme. Our hike is moderate, one step above Easy.
7. Who's running this thing?
Carleena Lara-Bregatta and John Bagielto will be your retreat leaders. They will be your main contact if you have any questions leading up to the retreat and will be there for you every step of the way. Carleena is a certified Yoga & Meditation Teacher, while John is an experienced hiker, extremely familiar with the Appalachian Trail. To read more about them, click here.
8. What about all my stuff?
There is a car park within our camp ground that is very close to our group campsite. You can unload all your supplies like your tent, sleeping bag, etc. & set up camp the first evening. You do not need to hike with all of your gear. It is recommended that any valuables stay locked in your vehicle. You can bring a small day time back pack to carry your lunch, sunscreen, etc. for our day hike.
OK - I AM IN. SO WHAT DO I PACK?
We will be spending lots of time outdoors so dress comfortably for longer days with exposure to sunshine, bugs and other nature-y things!
- bug spray - yoga clothes
- sunscreen - hiking shoes
- hammock - rain jacket/poncho
- a good book - spare batteries (if using air mattress)
- your yoga mat - a sun blocking hat or sunglasses
- swimsuit - bath towel and/or beach towel
- bedding - pillow, sleeping bag, cozy blanket
- day back pack - reusable water bottle or Camelbak
*this is not an exhaustive list.